Participating in continuing education activities and maintaining a log of these activities in a professional portfolio is an integral part of striving for excellence. The QA Committee developed the self assessment, peer and practice assessment and professional portfolio programs to help guide members in their CE and professional development activities.
Members are required to participate in 40 hours of CE over a two-year period, as determined by MOA. In accumulating the 40 hours, MOA requires members to:
- Participate in a minimum of 20 hours (out of the 40 hours) in structured CE activities.
- Participate in a maximum of 20 hours (out of the 40 hours) in unstructured CE activities.
- Record participation in CE activities in their professional portfolio.
- Maintain in their professional portfolio materials they have gathered while fulfilling their CE requirements (e.g., course outlines, brochures from conventions/conferences).
CE activities must reflect those areas identified as needing improvement in members’ completed self assessments, peer and practice assessments and other areas of interest. In addition, CE activities must relate to osteopathy, and should enhance members’ professional knowledge base so they can provide the best osteopathic care possible to the public of Manitoba .
If you have been selected to participate in the Peer & Practice Assessment Program, please do the following:
- Review the Peer & Practice Assessment Program Handbook that was sent to you.
- Mail the following items to MOA within 15 days of receiving the assessment notification.
- Pre-visit questionnaire.
- One current sterilized patient file (name/other identifying information removed).
- Blank sample of clinical charts/forms.
- List of abbreviations and short forms used (if any).
When MOA receives your completed materials, the materials will be forwarded to your assessor, who will contact you (telephone or e-mail) to arrange a mutually convenient time to conduct the assessment.
The assessment may not occur right away and does not have to occur during office hours.