There are several provincial laws that affect the privacy of personal health information:
- The Personal Information Protection Act applies to manual osteopaths in private practice.
- The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act applies to health authorities and hospitals.
- The E-Health Act applies to certain designated databases.
- The Ministry of Health Act gives the Minister of Health power to do things with personal health information for a wide range of purposes.
- The Public Health Act.
- The Health Authorities Act.
There is a pieces of federal legislation as well that concern privacy issues – the federal Personal Information and Protection of Electronic Documents Act, 2000 (PIPEDA). PIPEDA sets out the rules for how manual osteopaths may collect, use or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities.
For more information on PIPEDA:
- Executive Summary.
- Getting Ready for Privacy Legislation Guide: Privacy Requirements and Policies for Health Practitioners.
- Getting Ready for Privacy Legislation Checklists: Privacy Requirements and Policies for Health Practitioners.